London News & Search
Spain has been hit by two terrorist attacks just hours apart, leaving 13 people dead and many more injured.
The country has declared three days of national mourning after the massacre, which began on Thursday evening.
A van tore through a crowd in the busy tourist street Las Ramblas which was packed with shoppers and holidaymakers.
Several hours later, a gang wearing bomb belts ploughed a vehicle into pedestrians in Spain’s coastal resort town of Cambrils in a separate attack.
Here is what we know so far about how the attacks unfolded.
- The first attack began shortly after 5pm local time – 4pm in UK time – when a white Fiat van sped through Las Ramblas, a busy street in Barcelona. The famous street is one of Barcelona’s top attractions and is known for its human statues, similar to Covent Garden.
- At least 13 people were killed and more than 100 were injured as the driver ploughed into people along a 500 metre stretch of the pedestrianised area.
- The driver of the van then got out of the vehicle and fled on foot, leaving a scene of widespread panic, with crowds running in waves away from the area.
- Citizens of 24 countries were among those killed and injured in Barcelona including one Belgian national confirmed to have died. The French foreign ministry said 26 French nationals were injured, including 11 seriously.
- Police arrested two people in connection with the incident, including Driss Oukabir, a 28-year-old Moroccan who is believed to have rented the van. But the driver is believed to be still on the run. On Friday morning a third person was arrested.
- Eight hours later terrorists struck again in Cambrils, a coastal town and resort 68 miles down the coast from Barcelona.
- In the second attack, a gang of five attackers wearing suicide belts rammed into civilians with a car before being shot dead by police. Seven people including a police officer were injured in Cambrils.
- Four of the suspected terror attackers were shot dead at the scene and a fifth died later of his injuries.
- Of the six civilians caught up in the Cambrils attack, two were said to be in a serious condition.
- Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the Barcelona attack, the deadliest in Spain since more than 190 people died in the 2004 Madrid train bombs.
- The identity of the majority of victims is not yet known, but an Irish family of four have been confirmed as among the injured in the terror attack in Barcelona. The mother and father are originally from the Philippines and are naturalised Irish citizens while their two children were both born in Ireland. Their injuries are understood to not be life threatening.
- Authorities have warned that the death-toll may rise, with 15 people receiving treatment for serious injuries.
- Prime Minister Theresa May said she was “sickened” by the incident and the Foreign Office was trying to determine if there were British victims.
London News & Search