Barcelona incident: Man 'wearing explosive belt' shot dead by police in suburb of Subirats

1 London

London News & Search

1 News - 1 eMovies - 1 eMusic - 1 eBooks - 1 Search

Police hunting the van driver behind the Barcelona terror attack say they have shot dead a suspect wearing what appeared to be a suicide belt.

Local media said the dead man was Younes Abouyaaqoub, the 22-year-old Moroccan wanted for the Las Ramblas attack.

He was cornered in Subirats, a suburb 30 miles west of Barcelona, on Monday.

A tweet posted by police said there is an ongoing police operation in the suburb of Subirats.

“The suspicious person of Subirats wearing a belt of explosives adhering to the body. The individual has been shot dead”, Catalonia’s police force, Mossos, said on Twitter.

Reports quoting police sources said the man shouted “Allahu Akbar” (“God is Greatest”) during the incident.

Thirteen people were killed in the attack in Barcelona on Thursday, including seven-year-old British boy Julian Cadman.

Joaquim Forn, head of home affairs in Catalonia’s regional government, said earlier on Monday that “everything indicates” Abouyaaqoub was behind the wheel.

Police have revealed that he stole a car and killed its owner as he made his getaway after fleeing the carnage in Las Ramblas on foot.

He had been the only at-large member of the 12-strong terror cell behind the attacks in Barcelona on Thursday and in the seaside town of Cambrils early on Friday.

One person was killed in the Cambrils attack, in which terrorists wearing fake suicide belts drove an Audi A3 into pedestrians.

All five were shot by police, with four dying at the scene and the fifth later from his injuries.

More follows…


1 London

London News & Search

1 News - 1 eMovies - 1 eMusic - 1 eBooks - 1 Search


Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Facebooktwitterlinkedinrssyoutube

Leave a Reply