London News & Search
A suspect has been arrested after a van ploughed into pedestrians leaving 13 people dead and at least 50 injured during a terror attack in Barcelona, Catalan police said.
The van, believed to have been rented by French resident Driss Oukabir, mowed into crowds on Las Ramblas just after 5pm local time on Thursday.
Police confirmed that 13 people were feared dead and 50 had been injured.
Ten of the victims were believed to have been seriously injured.
The driver of the van is believed to have fled on foot, Reuters reported.
Police confirmed that one man had been arrested in relation to the incident.
The spokesman also dismissed reports that two armed men were hold up in a bar in the city and were keeping hostages.
Terrified witnesses also reported hearing gunfire in the La Boqueria market area of the city.
A second van linked to an attack had been found in the small town of Vic in Catalonia, local authorities there said on Twitter.
A taxi driver who witnessed the attack, Oscar Cano, told TV3 the van jumped onto the central pedestrian area at a high speed and swerved from side to side.
In photographs and videos, at least five people could be seen lying on the ground in the street Thursday afternoon, being helped by police and others. Other video recorded people screaming as they fled the van.
Keith Fleming, an American who lives in Barcelona, was watching TV in his building just off Las Ramblas when he heard a noise and went out to his balcony.
“I saw women and children just running and they looked terrified,” he said.
He said there was a bang – possibly from someone rolling down a store shutter – and more people ran by. Then police arrived and pushed everyone a full block away. Even people leaning out of doors were being told to go back inside, he said.
Fleming said regular police had their guns drawn and riot police were at the end of his block, which was soon deserted.
“It’s just kind of a tense situation,” Fleming said. “Clearly, people were scared.”
London News & Search