Leonardo DiCaprio matches Sandra Bullock's $1million pledge to help Storm Harvey victims

1 London

London News & Search

1 News - 1 eMovies - 1 eMusic - 1 eBooks - 1 Search

Leonardo DiCaprio is the latest in the line of celebrities digging deep for the Storm Harvey relief effort, matching a $1 million (£775,000) donation made by Hollywood colleague Sandra Bullock earlier this week.

The Oscar-winning actor is among several celebrities offering generous donations, including the Kardashians, who made a collective donation of $500,000 (£387,000), Beyoncé, the Rock and Chris Brown.

DiCaprio’s foundation pledged the $1m to the newly-established United Way Harvey Recovery fund, all proceeds of which will go directly to affected communities in the months and years ahead.

“We are incredibly grateful for the generosity of Leonardo DiCaprio and his foundation,” said United Way Worldwide president and CEO Brian Gallagher. “Responding to Hurricane Harvey requires the best of all of us — and that’s what this gift represents.”

The Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation has previously stepped in to provide disaster relief in the past, donating to the victims of the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami, the 2010 Haiti earthquake and Hurricane Sandy in 2012.

Sandra Bullock pledged $1m to the American Red Cross on Tuesday. The Gravity actress, who owns a home in Austin, Texas, apparently said: “I’m just grateful I can do it. We all have to do our part.”

So far 31 people are said to have died in the natural disaster.


1 London

London News & Search

1 News - 1 eMovies - 1 eMusic - 1 eBooks - 1 Search


Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Facebooktwitterlinkedinrssyoutube

Leave a Reply