London acid attack: Five injured in moped thugs' 90-minute acid attack rampage in east London

1 London

London News & Search

1 News - 1 eMovies - 1 eMusic - 1 eBooks - 1 Search

Two men on mopeds launched an acid attack rampage across London targeting five victims in just 90 minutes, police said.

One victim was left with life-changing injuries following the spree on Thursday night.

The attackers first struck as a 32-year-old moped rider waited at a junction in Hackney, east London.

They tossed the noxious substance into his face before one of them jumped on to his vehicle and drove away.


Acid attack: The men struck in Upper Clapton (Twitter/@999London)

Police said the man had gone to an east London hospital and they were awaiting an update on his injuries.

Dramatic images posted on social media showed takeaway delivery drivers gather at the scene in a bid to help the injured man.

Witness Sarah Cobbold wrote on Twitter: “Police and ambulances on Hackney/Queensbridge Road, possible acid/petrol attack. Lots of @UberEATS @Deliveroo drivers rallied round.”


Crime scene: Police rushed to the scene of one attack in Upper Clapton (Twitter/@999London)

Just 20 minutes later, at around 10.50pm, another victim was sprayed with searing liquid on the Upper Street junction with Highbury Corner, Islington. 

He was taken to hospital in north London. 

A third victim was targeted 11.05pm in Shoreditch High Street and suffered non life-threatening injuries.

Within 15 minutes, the pair appeared to have struck again, launching a corrosive substance at a man on Cazenove Road, Stoke Newington.


Attack spree: Police at the scene of one of the incidents (Twitter/@999London)

The fourth victim suffered “life-changing” facial injuries, police said.

A final assault of the night was reported to police at 11.37pm, when another man was confronted as he sat on his moped in traffic on Chatsworth Road, Hackney.

After spraying the liquid in a victim’s face, the moped was stolen and both attackers fled.

Dramatic photographs posted on social media showed huge police cordons in Upper Clapton as detectives investigated the attacks, which police believe are linked. 

A male teenager has been arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and robbery.

He is being held at an east London police station.

The Met Police said in a statement: “Inquiries are ongoing and officers from Hackney CID are investigating.

“Any witnesses, anyone with information or in possession of footage of these incidents should contact police on 101 or tweet @MetCC. To remain anonymous you can call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”

1 London

London News & Search

1 News - 1 eMovies - 1 eMusic - 1 eBooks - 1 Search



Leave a Reply