London city hall: Bud Polhill says he’ll ‘absolutely’ run for council next year, believes Joe Fontana may ‘have a chance’ to win

1 London

London News & Search

1 News - 1 eMovies - 1 eMusic - 1 eBooks - 1 Search

Bud Polhill is “absolutely” running next year for the Ward 1 city council seat he lost in 2014.

Now, what about ex-mayor Joe Fontana?

The two were in the public gallery Monday as city politicians endorsed the final business case for London’s $500-million bus rapid transit plan. Their presence raised eyebrows.

Tuesday, Polhill told The Free Press he will “absolutely” run next year in Ward 1, the seat he lost to Coun. Michael van Holst four years ago. In his 70s, Polhill believes he still has something to contribute.

“This is still my city – and your city and everybody else’s city,” Polhill said. “You’ve got to show interest in it.”

Polhill’s previously said he lost in 2014 because of his close association with Fontana, who resigned as mayor after being convicted of defrauding taxpayers while serving as a local Liberal MP. Polhill said the two didn’t go to city hall together Monday, seeing each other there by coincidence.

So, what about Fontana, who has now attended at least two high-profile BRT debates? Would he consider running again?

“I don’t know. He’s got a pretty decent gig” working in the mushroom industry, Polhill said. “After this episode with the current mayor and this council’s performance, he may have a chance. I don’t know.”

The Free Press has contacted Fontana for comment. He has not yet been reached.

The next municipal election is set for October 2017. Mayor Matt Brown has said he’s running for a second mayoral term.


1 London

London News & Search

1 News - 1 eMovies - 1 eMusic - 1 eBooks - 1 Search


Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Facebooktwitterlinkedinrssyoutube

Leave a Reply