Man, 19, stabbed to death in mob attack outside Old Kent Road pub

1 London

London News & Search

1 News - 1 eMovies - 1 eMusic - 1 eBooks - 1 Search

A teenager was fatally stabbed in the early hours of this morning after being caught in the middle of a mob attack outside a London pub, witnesses said.

The 19-year-old was found with stab wounds when police were called to “a disturbance” in Old Kent Road at about 2am. He was pronounced dead at the scene at 2.50am, London Ambulance Service said.

Witnesses said a large group of youths or young men were arguing outside the Afrikiko bar on the corner with Ilderton Road, Peckham.

One woman believes one of the attackers changed into different clothes and stayed at the scene, even speaking to a police officer. The killing is thought to be at least the 12th fatal stabbing of a teenager this year.

Crime scene: police cars and ambulances at the site of the stabbing in Old Kent Road (@AvieDelta)

A woman who called 999 said there were “30-plus” youths outside the pub when violence flared. The woman, who asked not to be named amid fears of reprisals, said: “Some were holding others back and there were glass bottles being thrown.

“There was one boy being mobbed, there was about 10 of them all around him. He picked up a plank of wood and was swinging it to try and keep them away.

He was pinned — there was nowhere for him to get out. A few of the boys walked up to a red Corsa, went to the boot of the car and came back and started rowing again.

“The boy who passed away lost his footing and ended up on the floor, and the boys were leaning over the top of him with a knife.

“It was shiny, quite a big knife. Then they walked away back to the red car, the boy got up, and stumbled away.

“One attacker walked back casually to the car and changed his clothes and was then wandering around.

“He stayed on the scene and had the cheek to speak to a police officer. The boy was laying in the pub entrance, the officer got a first aid bag and was doing CPR on him.”

Bar manager Chris Wilson, 30, said: “Friends of mine gave [the victim] first aid, it’s very sad, we’re heartbroken. I can’t say what it was over.”

This morning a pool of blood was visible on the pavement. Police had set up two forensics tents and put a cordon in place.

Next of kin have been informed but the victim had not been named by police this morning.

Four people were arrested near the scene.

1 London

London News & Search

1 News - 1 eMovies - 1 eMusic - 1 eBooks - 1 Search



Leave a Reply