London News & Search
A devastated mother whose teenage son was stabbed to death in south London said his friends told her the murder was filmed on Snapchat.
Alhaji Mohamed Dura-Ray, 16, known as Mo, was brutally killed in a violent mob attack the day before his mother’s birthday, and inquest into his death was told on Friday.
But prosecutors were later forced to drop charges against the teenager’s alleged killer after a key witness refused to give evidence, Southwark Coroner’s Court heard.
After the coroner returned a conclusion of unlawful killing, Mo’s mother Marima Baby Kamara said the family remained devastated by his death.
Mo’s friends told his mother the attack was filmed on Snapchat, a social network app that allows friends to share videos that are deleted automatically once they are watched, she said.
Appealing for anyone with information to come forward, she told how she remains “heartbroken” by her young son’s death and is unable to go to work.
She said: “They [the killers] were doing it on Snapchat. The people said they saw in Snapchat – that is how they knew they had killed him.”
The mother added that her son had been on the way to a friend’s house when the attack took place, and before leaving had told her “when I’m coming home, I’m going to buy you flowers for your birthday”.
Metropolitan Police Detective Sergeant Cary Crawley told the court that Mo had been seen crying out in pain by witnesses to the attack in the Newington Estate in Kennington, south London, less than a mile from his home in Walworth.
He said that at 10pm on Monday, September 14 2015, witnesses had reported seeing “an unknown male swinging his right arm up and over at Mo”, who then called out: “I’ve been stabbed, I’ve been stabbed!”
Members of the public gave first aid before paramedics and the London Air Ambulance arrived, Mr Crawley said, but Mo was pronounced dead at the scene at 10.52pm.
A post mortem later showed that he died from a single stab wound to the heart, the inquest heard.
A number of knives were recovered, but none which were later linked to the attack, Mr Crawley said, and detectives also found a letter containing the name of the former suspect, which had traces of Mo’s blood.
The suspect was later charged on suspicion of murder, but the Crown Prosecution Service was forced to drop the case due to a lack of evidence when another witness refused to testify against him, the policeman added.
London News & Search