London News & Search
Winger Jacob Murphy and defenders Javier Manquillo and Florian Lejeune could make their debuts for Newcastle.
Dwight Gayle is set to be available despite a recent hamstring problem but DeAndre Yedlin is out with a similar injury.
Tottenham full-back Kieran Trippier suffered minor ligament damage last weekend and will miss out, along with Georges-Kevin Nkoudou.
Danny Rose and Erik Lamela are still sidelined by long-term injuries.
MOTD COMMENTATOR’S NOTES
Guy Mowbray: “Did Newcastle really go down for a year or did we dream it? I only ask because it seems not much has changed as they kick off their Premier League return with the same fixture they left it with.
“As seems usual, there’s frustration on Tyneside over transfer business, with Rafa Benitez’ statement that he’ll ‘try to be sure to get the players we need’ sounding vaguely threatening.
“In comparison to Spurs though, The Magpies have been positively splashing the cash, with last season’s runners-up looking very light on numbers with ZERO new faces so far.
“Be that as it may, the starting XI is still more than good enough to kick off with a win here.”
WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY
Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez: “When I decided to stay, it was because I wanted to go back to the Premier League with this massive club.
“Still the transfer window is open, and I think that we can bring maybe some players in, and we have to move some players out.
“I think that Pochettino is a great manager and they have the same team that was finishing second and third in the last two seasons, so they have a very good team.”
Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino on Danny Rose’s recent comments: “Sometime as a player you are frustrated for different reasons. But the players are calm and the club is calm. I forgive him.
“It was his opinion and then he understood that maybe he needed to apologise to us, and that is very good for him and the club. For me it’s not a big issue. Now we move on.”
Spurs were beaten 5-1 at St James’ Park on the last day of the 2015-16 season after they had missed out on the title and Newcastle had been relegated.
It is good to see a club like Newcastle back in the top flight but I am expecting a very different outcome this time.
- Think you can do better than Lawro? Predict the score for this match and the rest of this round’s Premier League fixtures in our Predictor game.
- Newcastle thrashed Tottenham 5-1 at St James’ Park in the most recent meeting in May 2016.
- Spurs have won only two of their last 10 Premier League matches at Newcastle (D2, L6): 4-0 in February 2014 and 3-1 in April 2015.
- Newcastle are unbeaten in their last six Premier League matches (W3, D3).
- The Magpies have won just one opening league match in the last nine seasons (D4, L4) but that was 2-1 against Spurs in 2012.
- The past nine Championship winners have failed to win their opening Premier League game the next season (D2, L7).
- Rafa Benitez has not lost in his previous eight Premier League home games against Tottenham (W5, D3).
- This is the seventh successive season that Tottenham will start a Premier League campaign away from home (W2, D1, L3).
- Spurs have won 12 of their last 13 Premier League matches, losing the other.
- Tottenham won all of their Premier League fixtures against promoted sides over the previous two seasons, with an aggregate score of 34-5.
- Harry Kane has scored 20 goals in his last 15 Premier League games against newly-promoted opposition. However, he has never scored a Premier League goal in August.
|Most probable score: 0-1||Probability of draw: 24%|
|Probability of home win: 19%||Probability of away win: 57%|
SAM (sports analytics machine) is a super-computer developed by @ProfIanMcHale
Follow Match of the Day on Instagram for the best photos from the world of football.
London News & Search