London News & Search
A nightclub faces being shut down after police claimed that no one from the venue called 999 as a teenager was being stabbed to death outside.
Officers found 19-year-old Daniel Namanga dying from knife wounds after a disturbance outside Afrikiko bar and nightclub in Old Kent Road, Peckham last month. They said the venue “made no call to police”.
Licensing officers also reported other breaches at Afrikiko since 2014, including a lack of security staff on the door, patrons being allowed in after closing time and music played too loud.
The club’s licence was suspended three days after Mr Namanga’s death.
It will be reviewed by Southwark council on Wednesday following police concerns and complaints from residents about fights and rowdiness.
Mr Namanga, a former student at Rutlish School in Merton Park and Richmond College, was attacked at about 2am on August 8.
Witnesses said a “pack” of youths surrounded the schoolboy rugby player and he was stabbed with a “big, shiny knife”. He died in the club’s doorway 50 minutes later.
In his report to Southwark council, Pc Mark Lynch said: “The seriousness of this incident passes the threshold for what amounts to serious crime, and of particular concern is the club had no control over the dispersal of customers, and made no call to police.”
Residents from neighbouring tower blocks called 999.
Describing CCTV footage of the attack in his report, Pc Lynch said the fight involved “approximately 30 males and three to four females”. He described people “hitting each other with planks of wood, smashing bottles and a vehicle trying to run over people”.
Afrikiko’s owners said they “regret the incident that occurred” and that security guards had “no control over dispersal of customers” as Mr Namanga was attacked. The club said: “The crowd outside on that day was attributed by external members.”
Bosses said nine bouncers were on duty but “failed to identify” under-21s at the event, who were not allowed. They added that they have bought a new ID scanner.
A 21-year-old man, from Croydon, appeared at the Old Bailey on August 15 charged with murder and possession of an offensive weapon. He was remanded in custody and will next appear on October 31. Three men aged 23, 21 and 31 were “released under investigation” by police.
London News & Search