Rashan Charles: Police hunt suspected rioters as inquest opens into young father's death

1 London

London News & Search

1 News - 1 eMovies - 1 eMusic - 1 eBooks - 1 Search

Police are hunting for three people after a protest over the death of a young father being pursued by police descended into a riot.

Rashan Charles, 20, died in hospital after being chased into an off-licence by a police officer who attempted to remove an item from his throat.

Angry demonstrators took to the streets of Hackney days later to protest against his death, chanting: “We want justice, justice for Rash.”

But the Kingsland Road march escalated into violence, with demonstrators allegedly fighting with riot police, smashing windows, starting fires and hurling items at officers.

Police horses are drafted in to the riot. (PA)

The Met are now appealing for information about three people officers would like to speak with in connection with the disorder, which erupted during the afternoon of July 28.

Suspect: Police would like to speak with this woman in connection with the violence

Hackney detective Sergeant Gareth Coffey has released images of the suspects, one woman and two men, and said: “We would like to speak to those pictured in connection with the disorder that took place that day.”

Appeal: One of the suspects police are looking for

The police statement said the demonstration “was planned and initially peaceful” but “was used by a small number of people as an opportunity to commit disorder”.

Protest: Suspect three

The appeal came as the inquest into the father-of-one’s death was due to open on Wednesday.

His family released a statement stressing their objective to “establish what happened to Rashan, and to do this using all lawful means available”.

Protest: Riot police were called to Kingsland Road during the demonstration (PA)

Before his death on July 22, Mr Charles was seen running into a shop on Kingsland Road, Dalston, where he was apprehended by a police officer.

CCTV appeared to show the officer struggling with Charles on the shop floor, following an attempted vehicle stop moments before.

CCTV of the moment Rashan Charles enters shop

An Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) investigation into his death has so far shown that, after he was detained, attempts were made to remove an object from his mouth or throat.

And it was later revealed that a package removed from his throat contained a mixture of caffeine and paracetamol.

Detained: Rashan’s family said they want to get the truth about his death

Charles was taken to the Royal London Hospital in nearby Whitechapel, but pronounced dead at 2.55am.

No cause of death has yet been determined.

Mr Charles’s family have previously expressed concerns over the “openness and transparency” of the IPCC investigation into his death.

Anyone with information about those pictured in the appeal is asked to call 0207 275 3632. Or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or at crimestoppers-uk.org.

1 London

London News & Search

1 News - 1 eMovies - 1 eMusic - 1 eBooks - 1 Search



Leave a Reply