Southern Railway strike action suspended for talks with transport secretary

1 London

London News & Search

1 News - 1 eMovies - 1 eMusic - 1 eBooks - 1 Search

Planned strikes by Southern Railway guards and drivers in the RMT union have been suspended to allow talks with the Transport Secretary.

The union said it had been contacted by Chris Grayling inviting general secretary Mick Cash to a meeting subject to the suspension of the planned industrial action.

A statement by the union’s executive said: “We therefore suspend the industrial action called for Tuesday 1st August, Wednesday 2nd August, and Friday 4th August, and instruct the general secretary to arrange the meeting and to place back before this NEC an update on the progress of the talks by Tuesday 1st August.” 

Drivers in the Aslef union are due to strike for three days in August after rejecting a pay offer.

Both unions are embroiled in a long-running dispute over staffing and driver-only trains which has led to a series of strikes over the past year.


1 London

London News & Search

1 News - 1 eMovies - 1 eMusic - 1 eBooks - 1 Search


Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Facebooktwitterlinkedinrssyoutube

Leave a Reply