Swollen hedgehog the size of a beach ball with 'balloon syndrome' rescued by Scottish SPCA vets

1 London

London News & Search

1 News - 1 eMovies - 1 eMusic - 1 eBooks - 1 Search

A hedgehog that had swollen up to the size of a beach ball while suffering from “balloon syndrome” is being cared for by vets in Scotland.

The prickly creature, aptly named Zepplin, was spotted by a member of the public in Shotts, North Lanarkshire, on Sunday.

Experts believe the male hedgehog was injured by a car, causing air to be trapped under his skin, which lead to “balloon syndrome.”

He is now being treated at the Scottish SPCA’s national wildlife rescue centre in Fishcross, Clackmannanshire.

an127032204undated-scottish.jpg

The creature, which staff at the Scottish SPCA have called Zepplin, was spotted by a member of the public (PA)

Centre manager Colin Seddon said: “Zepplin is suffering from ‘balloon syndrome’. It’s likely that he’s been clipped by a car, puncturing a lung and causing air to become trapped under his skin.

“Our animal rescue officer Louise Hume got a bit of a shock when she went to pick him up. He’s certainly one of the largest hedgehogs we’ve taken into our care.

“He’s been seen by our vet Romain, who is hopeful that Zepplin, now deflated, will make a full recovery.

“He’ll be closely monitored at our centre to make sure infection doesn’t set in before being released back into the wild once he’s fully recovered.”


1 London

London News & Search

1 News - 1 eMovies - 1 eMusic - 1 eBooks - 1 Search


Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Facebooktwitterlinkedinrssyoutube

Leave a Reply